Club News

Due to the current ongoing situation, the June 2020 DTCA AGM, did not take place.  We will try to reschedule for later in the year once matters are clearer.

Production of the DTCA special edition Omnisport model has also been postponed.

2 hours 6 sec ago

--64a Amiot 370 (1939-48)

1 day 21 hours ago

Frank Hornby

2 days 1 hour ago

--40j and 161 Austin A40 Somerset Saloon (1953-59)

--40j and 161 Austin A40 Somerset Saloon (1953-59)

--40j and 161 Austin A40 Somerset Saloon (1953-59)

-555 Ford Thunderbird Cabriolet (1961-1967)

--30pb and 442 Petrol Tanker 'Esso' (1952-60)

-667 Missile Servicing Platform Vehicle (1960-64)

-823 GMC citerne militaire (1969-70)

-823 GMC citerne militaire (1969-70)

-823 GMC citerne militaire (1969-70)

-823 GMC citerne militaire (1969-70)

Code 3s

Code 3s

--24n Citroën Traction Avant 11 CV (1949-1958)

Code 3s

--64a Amiot 370 (1939-48)

Code 3s

-823 GMC citerne militaire (1969-70)

--25t Flat Truck and Trailer (1945-50)

--24n Citroën Traction Avant 11 CV (1949-1958)

--64a Amiot 370 (1939-48)

-156 Mechanised Army Set (1939-41)

-156 Mechanised Army Set (1939-41)

-156 Mechanised Army Set (1939-41)

Code 3s

Code 3s

Dinky Toys re-painting

--25t Flat Truck and Trailer (1945-50)

-156 Mechanised Army Set (1939-41)

-156 Mechanised Army Set (1939-41)

re-paint

1 week 23 hours ago

Unexpected recipient of 20+ Dinky toys / matchbox - many still sealed in original packaging

1 week 1 day ago

• Since: 07/30/2020 - 17:21

John Beugels

Dear friends, I am deeply sorry to let you know that John Beugels (‘John45’) passed away last Friday. I knew of his illness since last June. We were friendly acquainted since 1994 already, when we met at the opening of a 60th anniversary Dinky Toys exhibition in Gorkum (NL), to which he contributed a stunning section of pre-war Dinky Toys, among them some of his numerous splendid aircraft gift sets. He contributed a lot of Dinky Toys information and illustrations to Sue Richardson’s Diecast Toy Aircraft and GR Webster’s Dinky Toys Aircraft 1934-1979. The DTCA owes a lot to John as well, as he was one of the best writers of very useful, well-researched articles in The Journal, and his contributions to this forum testified of his great knowledge of pre-war Dinky Toys. Personally, we agreed that we had a lot in common as our fundamental approach to Dinky Toys and their history, and the basic research sources like factory archives and especially design drawings, is concerned. We will miss a great expert in the field of our beloved hobby, a pure-bred collector, and a very nice, modest and helpful friend. His partner, Ina, with whom I was in contact in the last few weeks just let me know about his death. I don’t know of other details (yet). I presume many of us will share my condolences to her and John’s family. Kind regards, Jan

dinkyfan's picture
dinkyfan
DTCA MemberUSA

Jan—-Like many others, I did not know him, but greatly enjoyed his many articles in the Journal, plus his many contributions to the forum. He seemed like a very nice, almost larger than life collector, full of Dinky knowledge plus having a wonderful collection. As time marches on, we are gradually losing many irreplaceable veteran collectors.....very sad indeed. Our heartfelt sympathy is extended to his family........
Best regards, Terry

Jan Oldenhuis's picture
Jan Oldenhuis

I am very shocked by this message. We visited each other at home to admire each other's collection and talk about our hobby. I was impressed by John's extensive pre-war collection and the many drawings he owns. He had an enormous knowledge of prewar items and was a specialist in the field of drawings. We lose a specialist and a valued friend and collector in him.

Kind Regards, Jan Oldenhuis

alkeeling's picture
alkeeling
AdministratorPostwarPrewarUK

I corresponded wth John a lot over the last ten years about Dinky Toys and his remarkable collection.  A collector of pre-war models and information, his knowledge was encyclopedic to the point where he was viewed by many as the highest authority.  As you say, Jan, John contributed and shared through many books and articles - and he kept extensive notes and documentations that have not yet been published.

Although he did not mention his illness, I realise he hinted about it though concerns about what might happen to his collection in the future - but told me that he had decided to continue collecting and not worry about it.

So goodbye and thank you many times, John, and condolences to family and friends at this time.

dinkycollect's picture
dinkycollect

A bad surprise, one more friend gone.

John and I did a lot of work together on the list of parts and the variations listed on his drawings. I visited John a few years ago and we spent a whole day photographing his fantastic collection for the Dinky Toys Encyclopaedia for which he is an important contributor. On this visit we solved the problem of which autogiro was made in France and which in England.

I will miss John as I miss Perter Golden, Geoffrey Webster, Michel Cousineau, the Richardsons and several others.

John is a great loss to the Dinky Communauty.

binnsboy650
DTCA MemberUK

As someone who never met John Beugels, and only knew of him through the DTCA, I am nonetheless saddened by his loss to our community. However, our loss will not equal the loss of his family, to whom I offer my condolences through those who were his friends and colleagues.

fodenway's picture
fodenway
DTCA MemberUK

As another who never met the great man, I can only echo the sentiments expressed in previous posts - the great loss to the collecting community of a knowledgeable friend, but an even greater loss to his family and close friends. May he rest in peace, and may his legacy live on.

Dave.Kaun
AdministratorCanadaDTCA Member

My sincere condolences to John's family. I never met John in person but I did have many exchanges of emails with him while rebuilding the DTCA website. John was very humble and offered his vast knowledge expecting nothing in return. He is an enormous loss to our Dinky Toys community.

fodenway's picture
fodenway
DTCA MemberUK

It's always very sad to see a lifetime collection being broken up at auction. Hopefully the prices realised will be very much more than the estimates, some of which seem ridiculously low - tinplate garages for less than £100? - bargain of the century!

dinkyfan's picture
dinkyfan
DTCA MemberUSA

I agree....I also looked through all the pre-war items listed and could not believe how low most of the prices were that were listed. Not sure if the market has fallen that far, or is that reflective that there are few serious Dinky airplane collectors......realized prices will be interesting! Best regards, Terry

alkeeling's picture
alkeeling
AdministratorPostwarPrewarUK

Well this is a very, very sad sight. Every toy and piece of paper seems so familiar after having talked about them all so often with John, listing and sorting and speculating about what it all meant.

Of course it is completely understandable if John's family want to pass on his collection but I can't help but think they have been scandalously ill advised by Vectis, from who I would have expected better.  Far, far better.  These alleged experts seem to think that dumping 500+ premium lots at auction on a tuesday morning is going to realise the best result for their client.   And look at the estimates these so-called specialists have come up with.   The traders are just going to clean up on this one.   Fancy a Vulcan for under £100?  How about a handfuls of atlantas, atlantics, singapores for £100 and change?  Get yourself a Jep stuka for a song and a nice box to go with it.  Or ... yes, look ... how about an original Marklin Junkers...  that's £100 too.    I know, let's have a game of spotting the most stupidly underestimated lot in this fire sale.

fodenway's picture
fodenway
DTCA MemberUK

Having looked more closely at the large number of very desirable items in the auction. I think the low estimates are a deliberate ploy to attract a larger number of bidders hopeful of a bargain, thus improving the chances of realising high prices. i hope so, for the sake of John's family at least.

alkeeling's picture
alkeeling
AdministratorPostwarPrewarUK

Well I hope you're right.  Experience has it that traders love these multiple lots and hoover them all up.  Individual bidders might only want one or two pieces out of a group, but a trader will happily outbid them because they can sell off all the pieces individually.  A dealer won't hesitate to throw down £300+ on a batch with a bunch of good dewoitines and things because they'll look to sell each for £100   Dealers have a ceiling and generally don't bid without fair confidence of doubling their money.   So, for example, a dealer will look at 1322, count up the planes... ballpark £60 for each and half that... so say their top bid will be about £300-£350.  That's likely to be well clear of what a private bidder will be prepared to drop on a lot.....  although the same private bidders might have bid £100 for each of those dewoitines individually.

But it's the way Vectis have these uber rare 30s models randomly thrown into a lot with a basically worthless 50s caravelle - makes me think more incompetence than crookedness. Of course I hope for the best for their client but I just checked with a couple of dealers who apparently already knew about this auction and are popping corks.

alkeeling's picture
alkeeling
AdministratorPostwarPrewarUK

So many dumb prices...  So much fail.   Difficult to pick an immediate lead contender.   Look at lot 1323.. a whole flock of dewoitines thrown in with some random caravelle.  £60 cheeky    Or 1314 with three autogiros tossed in with a few shooting stars. Ooh £80 Getting expensive. surprise

Erm, just a note about 1157.  The plane and box may be original  - but I made the flash and pennant.

dinkycollect's picture
dinkycollect

What I find about Vectis is that they are not experts, they do not know about the rare variations and do not advertise them. If they did, I think that some prices would go up. Also they copy some errors from Roulet's books.

I spent a whole day with John, he was pulling fantastic Dinkies out of his drawers one at a time and explained to me all the details and variations. We had a great time together.

I am proud to have recorded a lot of what John tought me and to be able to broadcast this around as a tribute to John.

Yes, it is so sad to sen such a collection broken up and once more the drawings will be sprayed world wide and the information that they contain will be lost for many tears if not for ever.