--25b Fourgon tôlé Peugeot D3A 'Lampe Mazda' (1953-54)

1 day 3 hours ago

--25b Fourgon tôlé Peugeot D3A 'Lampe Mazda' (1953-54)

1 day 4 hours ago

1 week 14 hours ago

-825 GMC amphibie type DUKW (1963-1971)

1 week 15 hours ago

1 week 15 hours ago

1 week 17 hours ago

1 week 18 hours ago

1 week 22 hours ago

-825 GMC amphibie type DUKW (1963-1971)

1 week 1 day ago

1 week 1 day ago

1 week 1 day ago

--25 series

1 week 3 days ago

-825 GMC amphibie type DUKW (1963-1971)

1 week 6 days ago

-825 GMC amphibie type DUKW (1963-1971)

2 weeks 1 hour ago

-289 AEC Routemaster Bus (1964-80)

2 weeks 3 days ago

-289 AEC Routemaster Bus (1964-80)

2 weeks 3 days ago

-181 Volkswagen Saloon (1956-70)

2 weeks 3 days ago

-289 AEC Routemaster Bus (1964-80)

2 weeks 3 days ago

-289 AEC Routemaster Bus (1964-80)

2 weeks 4 days ago

Trade Boxes

2 weeks 5 days ago

Trade Boxes

2 weeks 5 days ago

Trade Boxes

2 weeks 5 days ago

-289 AEC Routemaster Bus (1964-80)

2 weeks 5 days ago

-289 AEC Routemaster Bus (1964-80)

2 weeks 5 days ago

-289 AEC Routemaster Bus (1964-80)

2 weeks 5 days ago

Trade Boxes

2 weeks 6 days ago

-289 AEC Routemaster Bus (1964-80)

2 weeks 6 days ago

-289 AEC Routemaster Bus (1964-80)

2 weeks 6 days ago

Trade Boxes

3 weeks 1 day ago

-Interior cross hatching

3 weeks 3 days ago

• Since: 10/13/2021 - 17:09

stephend

Dealers' display cabinets

Hi all,

Does anyone have any pictures of pre-war dealers' cabinets? There seems to be a reasonable number of post-war glass cabinets (usually with 4 shelves) around but I don't think I have seen a pre-war dinky cabinet - perhaps none were made?

Thanks,

Stephen

buzzer999's picture
buzzer999
DTCA MemberUK

Hi Stephen

I do not recall ever seeing anything other than than the ones you talk about, they are in Dinky and Hornby Dublo versions which suggests post-war.

Dave

binnsboy650
DTCA MemberUK

Hi all!

I'm putting this post here because there's a gentleman in Western Canada (can't be more specific asI don't know) who has a large, 11 steps high by 5 feet wide, display cabinet of the stepped type and who appears to wish to dipose of it.

Is anyone on here from BC or Alberta who would consider privately being put in touch with the gentleman?

johnnyangel's picture
johnnyangel
DTCA Member

I am in California but collect original Dinky dealer cabinets and would certainly be interested in finding out more from this gentleman.

— jonathan

binnsboy650
DTCA MemberUK

DM'd you Jonathan.

DavidT
DTCA Member

Have just purchased this counter carousel for the Dinkys and am not sure of the period, think 70's, and am not sure what was displayed on the Carousel. could anyone enlighten me.

David

dinkycollect's picture
dinkycollect

David,

This is obviously  a display stand (is it a carousel ? probably not) for the hanging boxes which were used from 1976 until the factory closed in November 1979.

DavidT
DTCA Member

It is a carousel and it stands about 600mm high, Have been looking through Vectis past auctions and just found one that looks identical and they have described it as a carousel for Mini Dinkys, so presume they are right.

Ramseys Mini-Dinkys introduced 1968 until when not sure.

I do have a few empty garages but none in their original packets. Will have to look out for some and try to make a display.

David

DavidT
DTCA Member

Been looking to see how the Mini-Dinkys where presented and marketed and cannot find any confirmation, so not totally convinced.

Each search brings up hundreds of Mini's

Looking forward to your comments.

David

dinkycollect's picture
dinkycollect

No need to search in Vectis, both types are in the encyclopaedia. They are both revolving types and can be called caroiusels. I amnot sure that your display can revolve and this is why I asked the question.

DavidT
DTCA Member

Do like these two counter carousels for the Mini-dinkys, clearly different form the catousel I purchased. Will keep my eyes open to see if I can find examples.

David

johnnyangel's picture
johnnyangel
DTCA Member

This display was produced by Airfix after the closure of Binns Road and was designed specifically for the small-scale models they imported from Hong Kong (nothing to do with the earlier Mini Dinkys) and sold in 1980. These models were sold in blister packs that hung from the pegs on the display.

A relic of a sad time in Dinky history, alas!

dinkycollect's picture
dinkycollect

Then it is this one, it was published in the April 1981 issue of the Meccano Magazine and the Toy Man (Chris Anderson) made the mistake to call these small Dinky - Mini Dinky.

DavidT
DTCA Member

The leaflet above is 100% conformation of how, what and when the revolving counter display was used. Thank you for your efforts, I just love this peicing together the story and learning the companies history.

Yes it does revolve, you are obviously correct, it is the stand shown in the black and white picture above. The top sign is slightly different but matches the packet description.

Have that Meccano magazine you refer and have now read the article. Impressed that you knew where to look that quick.

Will now look for small Dinky to fill the stand.

This encyclopaedia you refer to would like to purchase a copy if possible, do you know what I must do to secure a copy.

Thank you for the infomation a little mystery solved.

David

Jan Oldenhuis's picture
Jan Oldenhuis

Hereby a clear scan of my Airfix catalog leaflet 1980 with 50 new models with the image of the relevant display stand. It consists of 4 pages and also mentions the relevant salesnumbers of the new Dinky models. Also a scan of an Airfix order form of April 1980 front and back side, on which I could not find a model with the price 59p as stated in this catalogue leaflet.

Perhaps also suitable for Jacques to include in his Dinky Toys encyclopedia.

Jan Oldenhuis, 26 July 2021

DavidT
DTCA Member

Certainly can rely on you guys for quick answers, just been on eBay to try and find the leaflet refered to above as I am an avid collector of all the ephemera of the company. Have also already secured some appropiate models for the stand off eBay so looking forward to them arriving.

The period is a little later than I normally purchase but cannot have a naked stand doing nothing, and it is all part of the history.

David

johnnyangel's picture
johnnyangel
DTCA Member

David -- I think the two Mini Dinky displays pictured above by Jacques and included in his Encyclopaedia were prototypes created for promotional photography, with hand-lettered signs. However, the one on the right is similar to the "cruciform stand" pictured in the dealer advertising below. I have one and indeed the Mini Dinkys in their garages fit perfectly. It is a relatively common display so you may be able to find one.

Jan -- thank you for posting the good scan of the 1980 trade flyer. I know many collectors prefer to ignore this period (or indeed anything after 1971) but I think everything Dinky is of interest. I am not saying I'm about to put those little Hong Kong models from 1980 on display in my toy room, but it's all interesting industrial history.

It's especially intriguing how Dinky history, including labor unrest etc., mirrors that of the full-size auto industry. When we look at these 1980 "Dinkys" bought in from Universal/Kidco and Solido, it is interesting to compare them to one of the last "Rover" cars produced -- a rebadged Tata Indica imported from India.

I'm hoping Mike Forbes will publish the article I have submitted for a forthcoming Journal about "The Ten Worst Dinky Toys."

kasvd
DTCA Member

After a long search i was able to pick up this shopkeepers cabinet today.

Great to have this on my desk in the room which my kids refer to as The Dinky Toy room.

I tried to find some old photo's of toyshops or Dinky promotional material with this cabinet on it but did not find any.

Does anyone here has proof of this cabinet being used?

How common was it for young kids to see this cabinet in their local toyshop?

Does anyone has information about how many where made and in which year?

greetings,

Kas

johnnyangel's picture
johnnyangel

Kas,

I have a special interest in Dinky Toys displays so cannot resist congratulating you. However I am in California so I cannot answer your question about how commonly this display was seen -- U.S. distributor H. Hudson Dobson produced its own quite different displays during the 1950s, so this style was not imported.

I believe your display was a fairly common sight, however, judging by the number that survive today. It comes from the mid 50s, and I have attached an image from the web of the Dinky Sales Aids 1956 flyer that promoted it to dealers. (Copies of this rare flyer may be purchased from an eBay seller; unfortunately I have misplaced my copy or I could provide a better image.)

kasvd
DTCA Member

Thank you Johnny for this flyer.
Great info which i was looking for.

DavidT
DTCA Member

Well done in purchasing the cabinet, I to enjoy displaying in the original shopkeepers cabinets. They do turn up from time to time but not always local to yourself. There are two types front loading and rear loading, the front loading are always more expensive as you can change the display while the cabinate is up against a wall, so more popular but much rarer. The original intention was for them to be placed on the counter accessed from behind prefered by the retailer for conveience and security, hence being more available.

They also made exactly the same but with Hornby Dublo at the top.

johnnyangel's picture
johnnyangel
DTCA Member

Here is a 1957 copy of the Dinky Sales Aids sheet for dealers. These images are thanks to photos originally shared via QDT, but I have cropped and digitally enhanced them.

Meccano in England and France between them produced a fascinating, rather incredible variety of Dinky Toys dealer displays, and it will be nice to have pictures of them all in this thread.

As I commented before, none of the displays shown on this sheet made its way to the U.S.A. or Canada as far as I know. (Though I would be happy to be corrected.) The Candadian distributors as well as H. Hudson Dobson had their own display designs in the 1950s, typically of stepped design.

I wonder, were any of the displays on this sheet exported to other countries, or were they for Great Britain only?